You know that as OWWA member, one of the benefits you can enjoy is educational programs and financial assistance. Here’s a good news for you: even your dependents, meaning your children, can also enjoy the same benefits that you do. In fact, OWWA offers scholarships for qualified dependents of overseas Filipino workers.
EDSP is a scholarship grant offered to qualified dependents or beneficiaries of active OWWA members. It is in a form of financial assistance of up to P60,000.00 per school year.
If qualified, your child may enroll in any four- or five-year baccalaureate course in any preferred college or university.
Nonetheless, only one per family of an active OWWA member is eligible for this program. Also, your child (dependent-applicant) must not be a recipient of other scholarship grants and has not taken EDSP qualifying examination and any post-secondary, vocational, or undergraduate units in college.
In case you are interested, here are the requirements:
- OFW must have an active OWWA membership.
- The dependent-applicant must not be more than 21 years old.
- The dependent-applicant must have must have an average of at least 80%.
- The dependent-applicant must belong in the upper 20% of the batch on his/her third year in high school.
- The dependent-applicant must belong to the graduating class at the time of application.
- The dependent-applicant must pass and should belong to the top 200 passers in the examination to be conducted by DOST.
- The dependent-applicant must pass the entrance examination required in the college or university where he/she intends to enroll.
Application for EDSP starts every June of each school year. Deadline of submission of application will be every first week of August or as prescribed by ROCS.
OFW Dependent Scholarship Program (OFWDSP)
This scholarship grant is offered to qualified dependents of OFW-OWWA members who plans to pursue a four- or five-year baccalaureate degree or associate degree in state college or university. The scholarship grant will be in the for of P20,000.00 per year financial assistance.
OWWA offers OFWDSP to 1,250 qualified students. This will be distributed equally among the poorest provinces and cities throughout the country.
Below are the requirements to qualify for this program:
- Legal dependent of the OFW must be an active OWWA member and whose salary is below $400.
- Only applicable to one child or one sibling per OFW family.
- The dependent must not be more than 21 years of age.
- Legal dependent must be a high school graduate, and is physically, morally, and mentally fit.
- Legal dependent must pass the entrance examination conducted by the state college or university where he/she intends to enrol. Said examination will be conducted in OWWA regional offices.
- The dependent-applicant must not be a recipient of other scholarship grants.
- Qualified dependent must not be a previous availee of EDSP or CMWSP. Read about CMWSP here.
In case the couple are both OFWs, only one scholarship slot will be alloted for them.
Educational Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP)
OWWA understands that unforeseen circumstances may lead to the death of OFW-OWWA member. In case this happens, the agency offers ELAP or Educational Livelihood Assistance Program to the deceased worker’s dependent.
ELAP is a program intended for OFW dependents of active OWWA member at the time of his/her death. Only one child, commonly the eldest child, will enjoy this benefit. This is also in the form of allowance e amounting to P5,000.00 for elementary, P8,000.00 for high school, and P10,000.00 if the child is in college.
The surviving spouse, if married, or mother/father, if single, will receive P15,000.00 livelihood assistance.
Note: As of this writing, these programs are temporarily suspended due to the K-12 program. This will resume in school year 2018-2019.